Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Saskatoon to Kenora (April 19, 2011)

The first day of the trip started smoothly even though I was delayed by a few days because of a snow storm in Ontario. I left Saskatoon just after 0715hrs with a full tank of gas and all possible gears that I could remember to take. The first song of the trip was "Release" by Pearl Jam for obvious reasons. It was a nice cool spring day with temperatures of 0C to +4C and a decent cross wind. All in all it was a great driving day. 

I took the eastbound Yellowhead highway which had some flooding just before Lanigan but otherwise the road was perfect. From Foam Lake I picked up a hitch hiker, who needed a ride to Winnipeg. His name was Scott and he did a lot of hitch hiking in his life. In his experience, drivers in Alberta are the one who are generally dumb and likes to drink beer while driving. Of course they are the brainless rig guys who drives big-ass pick ups for no reason. Otherwise the guy was mostly quiet. 

I filled up in Minnedosa at a Husky gas station and then saw an Esso in Neepawa. I generally try to go for Esso as much as possible but it was too late this time. I saw some serious flooding in most part of Manitoba before Winnipeg. After dropping Scott off at a truck stop before Winnipeg, I headed towards Kenora on TransCanada. Shortly after Winnipeg, the landscape started to change and the empty fields became fields full of Spruce trees, granite/metasedimentary boulders and outcrops and lakes. Just before the Ontario border, the highway turned into single lane and as you enter Ontario the speed limit drops to a 90kmph. The road was windy with passing lanes once in a while and exposed outcrops along the road cuts. I made it to Kenora just after 1900hrs (1800hrs SK time) local time and managed to find a decently priced motel. It was a 1014km drive and I was too tired to crash in the Jeep this time or to find a camping spot. This motel is brand new and they are still in the process of building and expanding. There is a decent pub in this town called Haps and they do have an amazing patio location which is open during summer.




Kenora Railway Station

Kenora dock

Tomorrow I need to take a couple of pictures including the Kenora railway station building. After that I will be heading to my next destination which is Thunder Bay.


No comments:

Post a Comment