Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thunder Bay to Wawa (April 21, 2011)

The day started with my friend missing his flight in the morning but he managed to get a seat in another flight on the same day. I got up early as well and did not have enough sleep because we went to bed quite late. I also had to get a geological highway map and some other geological information from the northern mine development office. After that again it was time to refuel for my next leg to Wawa, which is around 475km from Thunder Bay. The sky was clear this time and the rocks were beautiful along the road. There were some very beautiful view of Lake Superior on the way as well. The outcrops included volcanics, diabase, layered metasediments with sulfide along bedding planes and some major quartz veins running through volcanics close to Wawa. If you are a geologist, this section of highway would be exciting. This time I made a few stops for rocks and pictures.

Frozen Lake Superior

Banded Iron formation

Upon arrival at Wawa, I tried to search for the motels that my roommate told me about but apparently they are back on the highway and more expensive that the town motels. Being by myself there was no point of staying out by the highway so I decided to spend night here in town.

My next destination is Sault Ste Marie. Although it is not too far from here but I know the rocks will be even more amazing tomorrow and the highway would be more scenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment