Sunday, May 8, 2011

Chéticamp to North Sydney (May 8, 2011)

This exciting stretch right through the Cape Breton Highland National Park and involving the famous Cabbot Trail was definitely the best so far. The pictures will define it better than the words so I will not explain much about the trail. The cloud cover and the fog were not very helpful, however, I was able to cover the better part of the entire length before the thick fog came down. The cold Atlantic Ocean and the warm mountains together with the low pressure system to the south produced heavy fog patches along the eastern section of the Cabbot Trail.

It took me almost 5 hours to cover the park with one hike along the most beautiful Skyline trail. Last fall a local girl was killed by coyote on that trail. There were barely anyone driving along the Cabbot Trail because this is still the off-season. So while I arrived at the trail, it was only me getting ready for the hike. I had a stick and my knife with me for self defense and there was not a single soul on the entire length of the trail. However, on the way back I saw a quite a few hikers on their way out. I finished the hike on time as the weather started to deteriorate. On the way to North Sydney I also took a ferry on highway 312. This very short ferry ride cuts the journey time to TransCanada by a significant amount and I was in North Sydney very smoothly. Tomorrow I have my long ferry ride to Newfoundland and I really hope that the Gulf of St. Lawrence will not be too violent.


Almost invisible horizon

View from Cabbot Trail

View from Cabbot Trail

Outcrop, snow, fog initiation and the beautiful Hunter

Cabbot Trail

Cabbot Trail

On the way down from French Mountain

One of many valleys along Cabbot Trail

The whole spectrum of rocks

The geology of the area

Cabbot trail and the mountains as on the geology display

Cabbot Trail along Gulf of St. Lawrence

Cabbot Trail



1 comment: