Monday, May 9, 2011

North Sydney to Port aux Basques (May 9, 2011)

I was a bit worried about being on high seas for 5 hours but amazingly these vessels can cut the waves very efficiently and even with 2m waves it was barely rolling. This was another foggy and windy day here in Atlantic Canada with temperatures hovering below normal. The vessel that took me to Port aux Basques from North Sydney was the MV Highlanders. This is one of the ferries in Marine Atlantic fleet. They are well maintained and very comfortable. The food at the restaurant is also quite decent. I spent a lot of time up on the 10th deck sundeck where you get a full view around you. I found a sweet spot on that deck where warm air comes out through an exhaust and did not have to freeze in 40knots wind. There is also wireless internet and other facilities available during the voyage. I also watched a movie in my laptop to kill some time. 

Upon arrival at Port aux Basques, I was told the closest camp ground is closed and I had no intention to drive further because it was already too late in the evening and would be hard to explore the area with such a rich geological history. I decided to stay overnight here in town and now got all day tomorrow and the next day to explore.


Vehicle deck in MV Highlanders

Another vessel and North Sydney

7th, 8th and 9th decks of MV Highlanders

9th deck sitting area

Sundeck

Helipad and control room

Interior of MV Highlanders

Interior of MV Highlanders

Newfoundland after 5 hours of voyage

Lighthouse at Port aux Basques

Newfoundland coastline

Port aux Basques

3 comments:

  1. humans are extinct on these vessels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 9th Deck on the MV Highlander is usually empty. You would want to visit deck 7 where everyone sits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was trying to get the interior only without humans. The 7th deck definitely had some non-endangered human species.

    ReplyDelete