Friday, May 20, 2011

Thunder Bay to Kenora (May 20, 2011)

After spending days in beautiful cool temperatures in Newfoundland and other east coast provinces, this day felt really hot as the temperature in southern Ontario was up to almost 25C. I had to turn on the AC in my jeep first time this season. Most of the morning and early afternoon hours I spent in the Panorama Amethyst mine, which is 53km east of Thunder Bay. The owner was nice enough to took me down along the fault zone where they carefully dig the amethyst crystals out from the porous zones. I was amazed to see how much amethyst there is on the ground and everywhere else. I grabbed a few samples and took pictures of the other huge specimens that were sitting there.

This time I took the southern TransCanada (highway 11) to come to Kenora. That highway goes really close to the US border and partly quite scenic. My phone once again picked up signal from the states and I had to shut it down because it would charge me for roaming. The same thing happened in Edmundston before. I will have to drive across the entire Prairie tomorrow, which will be close to 1200km.







No comments:

Post a Comment