Monday, May 23, 2011

South Central Alberta to Kelowna (May 22, 2011)

I took off early in the morning to drive this scenic route through the Rockies. After all the rain over the Prairies, it gave me a bit of a break. The weather was very beautiful until almost Rogers Pass but after that it started to rain once again and lots of cumulus started blanket the majestic tall mountains. I have always been very much of a fan of trains and today when I saw the spiral tunnel stop it was very exciting. I waited almost 20 minutes with my camera for a train to actually go through those tunnels. The rail tracks elsewhere are also quite interesting. 

I took the highway 97A (wine route) exit from TransCanada to go to Kelowna. The drive through Okanagan Valley to Kelowna was rainless and even sometimes sunny. The fresh green valley under the late afternoon sun looked amazing. I am staying at the UBC Okanagan campus and the room with wired internet reminds me of the residence life back in Seager Wheeler. I also went for a quick exploration along Kelowna waterfront to get an idea about the roads and the town. Tomorrow I will be here and got a few places to check out.


Same train in 3 different spots in this picture from Spiral Tunnel. Two engines on front, one in the middle and one on the back.

Same train in 3 different spots in this picture from Spiral Tunnel

Another train on a fascinating track

I definitely like train tunnels

Town of Vernon

Town of Vernon

Kelowna
Castle Mountain
Rockies from Highway 1
One Rocky
Kelowna from UBC campus, Okanagan




No comments:

Post a Comment