Sunday, May 1, 2011

Quebec City to Fredericton (May 1, 2011)

After a few days break today I got to drive a 600km stretch again. I started it on the main highway 20 after leaving Quebec City but shortly after I switched to highway 132 which goes mostly parallel to the main highway but hugs the south shore of St. Lawrence river and goes through some beautiful very old french villages. The road was much slower than the main highway but worth a drive till the 289 exit before Rivere du Loup. Another attraction was to see the giant 40km meteorite crater close to a village name La Poctiere. The Charlevoix Crater is a result of an impact that happened 350million years ago and can be seen along the north shore of St. Lawrence. In fact I had a tough time finding it myself and on my way back I will try to do a better job. But I know where it is and you have to look at it very carefully to notice it. 

Finally in New Brunswick the highway again became divided and the speed limit went up to 110kmph. This gave me a chance to make up for the lost time by doing my usual 125kmph all the way with one amazing burger stop at Woodstock. The highway runs through parts of the Appalachian Mountain chains along the Saint John river. The landscape is quite intriguing with some beautiful rock exposures along the road cut.  Being a geoscientist one can never be bored of driving. I rolled in the city of Fredericton just before sun set with my gas light on ofcourse. I know how far the hunter can go with the lights on so I was not at all worried about it. I went for a late drive and a beer in the city on a Sunday night. Tomorrow I will drive a bit more in the south and the north section of the city before heading to Saint John.




Saint Lawrence river and Laurentian mountains

Saint Lawrence river and Laurentian mountains

Saint John river and Fredericton

Saint John river and Fredericton

1 comment: