Monday, May 23, 2011

A day in Kelowna (May 23, 2011)

Another warm day in Kelowna and that means not a very excited Gunjan. I walked along the waterfront and then started doing some research on any nearby geological attraction. I found out that Mt. Bucherie, which is very close to Kelowna, has a nice hiking trail and great volcanic examples. The hiking trail was not very easy and goes up to the top of the mountain which is situated at 800m. The columnar joints on the huge rocks that were laying everywhere were spectacular. All rocks were angular but there was one on the trail were not. I decided to put it in my Jeep as it might be a volcanic bomb because this was a stratovolcano 60 million years ago. 

After that I got back to the waterfront and stayed till sun set before getting back to my room. Tomorrow I leave this city for Victoria. 

Kelowna waterfront

Kelowna from Mt. Bucherie

Columnar joints

Columnar joints

Westjet landing as seen from UBC, Okanagan

Volcanic mountains at dusk

Kelowna at dusk

No comments:

Post a Comment