Monday, May 2, 2011

Fredericton to Saint John (May 2, 2011)

After mostly a quiet night in Fredericton and a free morning breakfast I headed for Saint John. The city has a coast line along the Bay of Fundy and situated in the south of the province of New Brunswick. It was only 110km drive from Fredericton and on a sunny warm day that is nothing at all. However, the strong 20knots cross wind kept me entertained just like the day before. This time the outcrops along the road cuts were quite different and much more interesting. This made me pull over multiple times to check out the rock type. I believe the people who were driving on the road were definitely wondering why a guy walking around in the muddy ditches. There was one outcrop where hematized gabbro was accompanied by possible granodiorite and intense hydrothermal activity along the fractures causing sulfide deposits. There were more of those. 
With all the stops, I made it to Saint John within a couple of hours and had enough time to know the city before dark. In the afternoon I went for a 6km walk along the nature trail but I was realizing my feet are still messed up from my last 26km expedition and I just made it worse again. In total I have 8 blisters now but whatever. After that I got myself up to date with my paper work and planning. This place barely has any restaurant, so I had to survive on Subway and Burger King. Tomorrow I will go to Moncton from here, so another short drive.


Bay of Fundy tidal flats

Bay of Fundy

1 comment: