Saturday, May 7, 2011

Halifax to Chéticamp (May 7, 2011)

Chéticamp is a small seasonal town just before the best part of the Cabbot Trail along the west coast. To get here from Halifax I did not take the major TransCanada highway but followed highway 7 which is also known as Marine Drive first to Antigonish. On the way I stopped at a restaurant for lunch and somehow backed up to a huge boulder while getting out of the parking lot. Fortunately the tough Hunter did not even suffer a scratch. Once in Antigonish, I took a detour to Arisaig for some potential fossils along the beach. That short detour was a bust and there was nothing. I explored as much as possible to find anything but had to quit before it is too late in the afternoon to make it to my final destination for the day. I was on TransCanada just for a bit today before making an exit on highway 19 which follows the west coast of Cape Breton before merging into the Cabbot Trail.

I made it to the town of Chéticamp on time but this is still the off-season so the camp grounds are completely closed and so are the motels. Fortunately there was one motel which opened up today and I got in as their first guest of the season. This is a mostly french town with a lot of good people. Everything else worked out properly for the night. Tomorrow I will cover the entire Cabbot Trail and then drive to North Sydney for my ferry on Monday.


Highway 19 before merging into Cabbot Trail

Cabbot Trail just before Chéticamp

1 comment: